Summers are approaching. And it is high time when homeowners start thinking about the methods to keep themselves and their families safe. But, don’t forget about the largest moving part of your home i.e. your garage door. You need to prepare your garage door for summer. If you don’t want to call a professional for frequent door repair and maintenance, follow these garage door safety tips.
Garage Door Safety Tips
- It is advised to keep the garage door opener remote out of the reach of small children. Make sure you mount the control at least 5 feet above the floor
- Remember, the door remote is not a toy and teach your kids the same way. It can be extremely dangerous for your kids and pets.
- Your children should know about the basic garage door safety and how the door actually functions. Children are sharp and they can easily understand how critical a door can be only if taught correctly.
- In order to avoid any mishap, make sure you test the reverse mechanism of the opener. For testing, you need to place a wooden plank in the door’s path. If the door reverses after sensing the object, then everything is fine. Else, you should contact a professional to check the issue.
- You can get a deep understanding about the opener’s emergency release feature by reading the user manual.
- Make sure you visually inspect the door springs, cables, rollers and pulleys twice a month. This is important to catch the potential signs of damage at the early stage.
- If the garage door cables and springs are damaged and need replacement, call a professional. Never ever try to repair or replace them on your own as it can be extremely dangerous.
- Once a week, use the release mechanism of the opener to operate the door manually. While lifting the door, you shouldn’t have to exert much force as it should be able to lift easily. Keep it open 3 or 4 feet above the floor to check the condition.
These safety tips will ensure the safety of your family and also the pristine condition of your garage door. Keep on checking the door for any potential sign of damage and call our professionals at Garage Doors Expert immediately if any assistance is required. Our garage door specialists are committed to ensuring the optimal condition of the door so that you can enjoy the summer with your friends and family.